On Gratitude

Eric Hoffer wrote:

The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

Aldous Huxley wrote:

Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.

David Reynolds wrote:

I am wearing clothes others made for me, eating food others grew and prepared for me, using tools others designed and fabricated and taught me how to use, speaking words others defined and explained. There is nothing I do that is thanks to my own efforts alone. Most of time I fail to notice the efforts of others in my behalf.

Gregg Krech wrote:

When I narrow my vision to search for an ideal that my mind has created, life seldom complies. But when I broaden my vision to simply notice what life is offering, I find that I am surrounded by an abundance of care and support. Yet, we can repeatedly observe the mechanics of a mind that is rarely satisfied with what it has at the moment because it is always yearning for some manufactured ideal.

A Course in Miracles says:

Love is the way I walk in gratitude.

Gratitude is a lesson hard to learn for those who look upon the world amiss. The most that they can do is see themselves as better off than others. And they try to be content because another seems to suffer more than they. How pitiful and deprecating are such thoughts! For who has cause for thanks while others have less cause? And who could suffer less because he sees another suffer more? …

Today we learn to think of gratitude in place of anger, malice and revenge. We have been given everything. If we refuse to recognize it, we are not entitled therefore to our bitterness, and to a self-perception which regards us in a place of merciless pursuit, where we are badgered ceaselessly, and pushed about without a thought or care for us or for our future. Gratitude becomes the single thought we substitute for these insane perceptions.

Thomas Merton wrote:

Love is not a matter of getting what you want. Quite the contrary. The insistence on always having what you want, on always being satisfied, on always being fulfilled, makes love impossible. To love you have to climb out of the cradle, where everything is “getting,” and grow up to the maturity of giving, without concern for getting anything special in return.

Meister Eckhart wrote:

If the only prayer you say your entire life is ‘thank you,’ that would suffice.

Ishin Yosimoto wrote:

You are fooled by your mind into believing there is tomorrow, so you may waste today.

Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote:

I awoke this morning with devout thanksgiving for my friends, the old and the new.

Albert Schweitzer wrote:

At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us.

My very best wishes for a very happy and peaceful Thanksgiving.

Advertisements

One Response to On Gratitude

  1. E says:

    I was thankful that I don’t live under a mountain of debt.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: